Friday, May 9, 2014

Meed The RD: Ronny Angell and the Blue Ridge Bear Fix

1. How did you get into adventure race production?
I was an adventure racer for 6 years, mainly racing Odyssey Adventure Racingevents and through those years I was volunteering at all of their events I wasn't racing and eventually came on as a staff member. In 2004 Don Mann approached 2 other couples and my partner and me as asked if we would be interested in buying Odyssey. I had been a welder for 20 years up to that point and was debt free for two weeks! I was like what an opportunity to do what I love and continue creating events that changed my life. So we bought Odyssey and I was SO lucky to have Joy Marr stay on my staff and teach me ever thing she knew about adventure racing design and production. Through the pass 9 years of race production,producing over 150 events, I have learned  a lot long the way and  I have made some mistakes!!

2. What are the biggest challenges you face as a RD in your area? 
Finding new areas to produce races. I like to show racers new places that hasn't been seen before. The challenge is connecting all the beautiful areas I know with out crossing private land and/or long paved road sections. Most of the land owner are good about giving us access but it can be challenging to track them down. I love single track mt. biking and finding miles of it to add to a race can be tough at times.
Odyssey Adventure Racing
3. What can participants expect...that you're willing to share? 
Well I like to show case the areas natural beauty the best can. So at times that beauty requires people to go up! So elevation gain and loss is very common in our events and I like to structure the race so the racers really have to think and strategy so it's not all about who's the best athletes. At times I am limited with my permits where I can and can not go so I have to require teams to go a certain way or route, but I try to work around that the best I can to give the racers options.

4. What is the biggest change from last year's race? 
Probably it would be, not so much biking dominate (Did I mention I love biking) and more trekking sections with challenging off road navigation(most favorite next to biking). I'm sure racers will encounter a long trek or two.

5. What advice do you have for training or just from general experience in the AR world? 

Try to be well rounded in all your disciples. Train your weakness and maintain your strengths. Dial in your nutrition before race day and have food variety! Mental toughness and adaptability are your biggest assets. Build your team around personalities first and skill and athletic ability second. It will create a better race experience for everyone. Once everyone is tried, true personalities come out and sometimes that can't be worked through were if you are a good team that works good together and communicates well you can over come athletic ability. Everyone at some point will be a Rock Star and a groupie. Last would be ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE! STOP AND "SMELL THE ROSES" from time to time!

Learn more about the Odyssey Blue Ridge Bear Fix in 2014 below!

No comments:

Post a Comment